Karl Lagerfeld never minced his words: certainly one of the many reasons why he was so loved – and, of course, hated. The designer knew how to polarize. We've put together 15 of the designer's best, most succinct and most accurate quotes.
It was a shock to the fashion world: Karl Lagerfeld, designer of Chanel, creative mind behind Fendi and his label Karl Lagerfeld named after him, died on February 19, 2019 in Paris at the age of 85. Sharp-witted, intelligent and provocative – that's how his many followers knew (and loved) him. We present to you the 15 best quotes of the fashion legend.
The 15 most legendary quotes from Karl Lagerfeld that you should know.
Karl Lagerfeld: quotes about fashion
1. "I hate the word cheap. People are cheap, clothing on the other hand is expensive or cheap."
2. "You have to throw money out the window so that it comes back in the door."
3. "You can't escape fashion. Because even when fashion goes out of style, it's fashion again."
4. "Sweatpants are the sign of defeat. You've lost control of your life, and then you just go out on the street in sweatpants."
5. "Coming out after a show is a good discipline for me. Because I have to be careful not to look like an old garden gnome among all these 20-year-olds."
Karl Lagerfeld: Quotes about himself
6. "When Germans approach me to tell me they're German, too, I always say: there's 80 million of them."
7. "I'm sorry: what I say is only valid if I'm saying it right now."
8. "I suffer from an overdose of myself."
9. "Standing on the assembly line, that's work. What I do is recreation with a professional background."
10. "There is a glass wall between me and the rest of the world."
Karl Lagerfeld: Quotes about life
11. "You only learn from your mistakes. Success never helped anyone."
12. "Sexuality today is just a sport."
13. "A selfie is electronic masturbation."
14. "Nothing makes you look older than trying to look young."
15. "Shame is a matter of self-respect."